You are here
The Biostatistical Design and Analysis Center (BDAC) provides statistical and data management support, from study design to final analysis and publication of results.
BDAC support and collaboration
All pre-award consultation must be initiated 30 days or more before the internal due date of the application. Investigators are encouraged to contact BDAC early in the grant preparation process.
- Study design consultation and evaluation
- Sample size and power calculations
- Writing statistical analysis section for grant proposal
- Review and edits of grant proposal revisions
Note: No charge to University of Minnesota researchers for grant proposal preparation if BDAC personnel are written into the grant for reasonable levels of support.
- Database dictionary and documentation
- Design of web-based interface for data entry
- Assistance with REDCap set up
- Quality control programs to monitor data integrity
- Data and safety monitoring reports for DSMB/DMC review
- Integration of data from various sources
- Database backup
- Data extraction for analysis
- Protocol development and review
- Clinical trial monitoring and interim analyses for DSMB/DMC review
- Data analysis as specified in the study protocol
- Tables, graphs and summarization of analysis results
- Interpretation of analysis results
- Additional exploratory analyses as determined by the research team
- Review of statistical analysis results
- Writing the statistical methods and contributing to the results and discussion sections
- Edits and review of manuscript
- Responses to reviewer comments and questions
Note: Regardless of funding source, BDAC biostatisticians are typically included as co-authors on manuscripts if they have participated in study design, analysis, or manuscript preparation for a project. This policy is consistent with the ICMJE requirements for authorship.
Funding BDAC support and collaboration
There are three methods available for funding BDAC support:
- BDAC personnel are written into a grant for reasonable levels of support.*
- Departmental funding for ongoing statistical support of projects. Current departments with funding for BDAC support include: Department of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, School of Dentistry, College of Pharmacy, and Department of Dermatology.
- Hourly rates are billed monthly for projects without grant funding or for grants that do not include support for BDAC personnel. For non-U of M clients, rates are negotiated separately.
* When BDAC personnel are written into a grant for salary support, the Principal Investigator must include CTSI representatives as approvers on the Proposal Routing Forms (PRFs). The PRF routing chain should include John Connett (BDAC director) and Tucker LeBien (AHC Associate Vice President for Research). Additionally, when the assigned statistician is also a faculty member in the School of Public Health (Kyle Rudser, James Hodges, John Hughes or Weihua Guan), please contact Linda Zenner at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about the PRF routing chain.