CTSI is providing funding and support to Associate Professor Dr. Valerie Pierre, who envisions a cheap, easy-to-use diagnostic tool that could provide a faster way to diagnose bacterial infections.
Initial funding, guidance, and support from CTSI proved such a tool could be feasible, and a subsequent award that’s co-administered by CTSI is now enabling her to develop a prototype.
“The research I’m doing would not be possible in the age of paper medical charts, and would not be possible without the clinical data from CTSI."
- Gyorgy Simon, PhD, an affiliate faculty member on how CTSI-supplied clinical data is opening up entirely new pathways for discovery.
CTSI is committed to training up-and-coming investigators so they can lead successful research careers, and uncover breakthroughs that can create a healthier tomorrow.
A University of Minnesota research team recently published the results of a clinical trial that showed choline could reduce some of the cognitive defects caused by prenatal alcohol exposure.
Children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs) who took a daily supplement of the water soluble nutrient showed small gains in memory performance, which could significantly impact their overall cognitive development.
Stories in the Minnesota Daily and KSTP-TV described how researchers from the University of Minnesota and Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota are teaming up to help Somali children and families better manage Type 1 diabetes.
“The Undergraduate Research Program was a springboard into my research career. I gained a strong understanding of how to conduct public health studies, along with a mindset that’s focused on making a real-world impact with research.”
- Sudip Bhandari, Undergraduate Research Program (URP) scholar
“Sharing my research with our nation’s policy-makers was a thrilling opportunity, and one that I couldn’t imagine having before I got involved with the Undergraduate Research Program.”
- Undergraduate student and CTSI scholar Jamie Morrissette, on presenting her research to legislators on Capitol Hill.
The Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI) is helping Veronika Bachanova, MD, PhD, to take a team approach to find better ways to treat patients suffering from blood cancers and help her achieve her goal of becoming a more effective independent researcher.
Mentorship. Resources. Educational seminars. These are just a few things that came to mind when we asked researchers how the Clinical and Translational Science Institute helped them be more successful.
A community-University research team successfully influenced public policy earlier this month, when Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton signed a bill that helps care for pregnant, incarcerated women and their babies.
Dr. Rebecca Shlafer, an assistant professor in the U of M's Department of Pediatrics, and Erica Gerrity of the local nonprofit Everyday Miracles both testified about how the bill could improve health outcomes.
- Academic Health Center / Health Sciences (37)
- Accelerating discoveries (57)
- Advancing child health discoveries (28)
- Biomedical informatics (25)
- Biostatistical support (17)
- BLS (BioNet) (8)
- BMIP (27)
- BPIC (15)
- CEARCH (70)
- Clinical data repository (12)
- Clinical research professional (10)
- Clinical research services (48)
- Clinical trial management system / OnCore (11)
- Clinical trials (27)
- Community engagement in research (76)
- Community Engagement Studio (2)
- Community Research Institute (1)
- CTR Portal (5)
- CTRS (36)
- CTSA consortium (18)
- CTSI event (32)
- CTSI-Ed (95)
- Early-stage research (39)
- Fairview Research Administration (12)
- Grant (84)
- i2b2 (5)
- Interdisciplinary research (10)
- M Health (6)
- MARCH (1)
- Multisite research (15)
- NCATS (24)
- NIH (26)
- ODAT (49)
- Participate in a study (10)
- PCORI (3)
- Pilot funding (39)
- REDCap (8)
- Regulatory support (14)
- Research career & workforce development (96)
- Research mentor (43)
- Research participant recruitment (16)
- Research Toolkit (3)
- Research tools (40)
- ResearchMatch (2)
- RFA (31)
- Specimen procurement (7)
- StudyFinder (11)
- Team Science (40)
- University of Minnesota (170)