“Nearly 70 people contacted us to express interest in one of our studies after seeing it on StudyFinder, through virtually no effort on our end. StudyFinder is the most innovative, efficient tool for recruiting participants I’ve used in my 27-year clinical research career.”
- Patricia Lenton, RDH, MA, CCRP, who directs the Oral Health Research Clinic at the University’s School of Dentistry
“When we’ve partnered with CTSI to create a recruitment mailing list, we have had cases where our phones ring non-stop with callers interested in joining our study. One of our studies even doubled enrollment, virtually overnight.”
- Rebecca Brown, MSN, MS, RN, a clinical research coordinator with the School of Nursing
In 2012, Department of Radiology Professor Jafar Golzarian, MD, received pilot funding from CTSI’s Office of Discovery and Translation (ODAT) to further develop a drug-delivery device for cancer patients that he’d invented with his team at the University of Minnesota. Shortly after, he spun the technology out to EmboMedics -- where he serves as co-founder and chief medical officer -- to continue advancing and commercializing the technology.
“Initial funding from CTSI led to a nearly three-million-dollar NIH grant to advance our research. CTSI’s support enabled us to demonstrate the effectiveness of the treatment we’re investigating, and that further studies on the topic could be feasible, particularly in terms of attracting enough research participants.”
- Dr. Aaron Kelly discussing his research with Children’s Hospital collaborator Dr. Jennifer Abuzzahab, to advance research that has revealed a promising way to help adolescents with severe obesity
CTSI has released a report that evaluates the Community Health Collaborative Grant award program, which aims to support research projects that lead to health improvements, while sustaining long-term partnerships between University of Minnesota researchers and community representatives.
“It became clear that if we shifted away from a department-centric research infrastructure to a team approach that engaged CTSI, we could do a better job initiating, executing, and closing out studies.”
- Dr. Maria Hordinsky, Professor and Chair of the Department of Dermatology. The department has a contract with CTSI that gives them ongoing access to a dedicated clinical research professional.
Star Tribune story features CTSI-funded group's innovative approach for getting pediatric medical devices to markets.
This year the group of volunteers will award grants, start offering access to a new tech incubator, and launch a program that solicits public input about child health needs and device ideas.
“The research I’m doing would not be possible in the age of paper medical charts, and would not be possible without the clinical data from CTSI."
- Gyorgy Simon, PhD, an affiliate faculty member on how CTSI-supplied clinical data is opening up entirely new pathways for discovery.
CTSI is committed to training up-and-coming investigators so they can lead successful research careers, and uncover breakthroughs that can create a healthier tomorrow.
A University of Minnesota research team recently published the results of a clinical trial that showed choline could reduce some of the cognitive defects caused by prenatal alcohol exposure.
Children with fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs) who took a daily supplement of the water soluble nutrient showed small gains in memory performance, which could significantly impact their overall cognitive development.
- Academic Health Center / Health Sciences (37)
- Accelerating discoveries (57)
- Advancing child health discoveries (28)
- Biomedical informatics (25)
- Biostatistical support (17)
- BLS (BioNet) (8)
- BMIP (27)
- BPIC (15)
- CEARCH (70)
- Clinical data repository (12)
- Clinical research professional (10)
- Clinical research services (48)
- Clinical trial management system / OnCore (11)
- Clinical trials (27)
- Community engagement in research (76)
- Community Engagement Studio (2)
- Community Research Institute (1)
- CTR Portal (5)
- CTRS (36)
- CTSA consortium (18)
- CTSI event (32)
- CTSI-Ed (95)
- Early-stage research (39)
- Fairview Research Administration (12)
- Grant (84)
- i2b2 (5)
- Interdisciplinary research (10)
- M Health (6)
- MARCH (1)
- Multisite research (15)
- NCATS (24)
- NIH (26)
- ODAT (49)
- Participate in a study (10)
- PCORI (3)
- Pilot funding (39)
- REDCap (8)
- Regulatory support (14)
- Research career & workforce development (96)
- Research mentor (43)
- Research participant recruitment (16)
- Research Toolkit (3)
- Research tools (40)
- ResearchMatch (2)
- RFA (31)
- Specimen procurement (7)
- StudyFinder (11)
- Team Science (40)
- University of Minnesota (170)