What is biomedical health informatics?
An emerging, interdisciplinary, integrative and diverse field that:
- Combines health sciences (e.g., medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy and allied health) with computer science, management, cognitive and decision sciences, social science, biostatistics, engineering and information technology.
- Solves problems in health care delivery, pharmaceutical, biomedical and health sciences research, health education and clinical/medical decision making.
- Has developed its own areas of emphasis and approaches that sets it apart from other professions and disciplines.
Biomedical health informatics aims to:
- Advance life sciences research, health professions education, public health, and patient care.
- Optimize the acquisition, storage, retrieval, and use of information in health and biomedicine (Wikipedia).
- from the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
About CTSI Biomedical Informatics
CTSI's Biomedical Informatics (BMI) function is aligned as part of the University-wide Office of Biomedical Health Informatics (BMHI).
BMHI is an overarching infrastructure that supports biomedical informatics at the University of Minnesota. BMHI coordinates the availability of services, synchronizes knowledge across groups, and provides education to grow biomedical informatics capabilities (2010, CTSA).
BMHI provides the expertise, tools, and resources necessary to conduct clinical translational science research at the University.
BMI tools and services
Tissue repository used to label, track, and record data related to specimens.
Clinical Translational Research (CTR) Portal
Personalized access to research project information and CTSI business management system.
Request and access clinical data from our partners.
Research networking and expertise database.
Cohort Discovery: Are you looking for 100 or 2,000 patients for your study? Use i2b2 to see if there are enough patients that meet your study requirements.
ICS (Informatics Consulting Service)
Your single point of contact for informatics expertise and resources.
OnCore (Clinical Trial Management System)
Use OnCore® to better manage your study.
Web-based research data collection and management.